Monday, March 16, 2009

They didn't lie - it does get easier

I had struggled off an on for our first few weeks in Christchurch, I wanted something familiar in a way that led me to frustration and tears on a few occasions. But as 'they' always say, it does get easier. Now as I travel the city I have landmarks that make sense to me, I know a few different grocery stores where you can get deals on certain items, and I am finally meeting people.

I wouldn't call it homesickness though, as it really didn't have anything to do with wanting to be back "home". But I guess I really took for granted how nice it is to know what Indian restaurant is good for butter chicken, which used book store has the best selection, and which produce store is guaranteed to have golden delicious apples (which I have yet to find here). But it is just a matter of time until I get those things sussed out.

Spent six days in a row working myself into the ground last week. Enjoyed it, and hated it all at once. But it was a good reminder of how much my mood improves when I am cycling about 20km a day and working myself into a sweat running around serving tea, making tea and sorting out lunches. But I certainly am glad that the week is over and I don't think I will be jumping on taking a job like that again unless the pocketbook really gets hurting again.

Today I officially start work at the holistic cooking school and will be taking my first course with the woman I will be apprenticing for. If the details work out I really feel like NZ is finally giving me some direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment