Monday, March 30, 2009

Friends

Had friends here this past weekend and it was so amazingly comfortable being able to joke through slight inflections (which it appears Kiwi's don't get all the time since they don't know me or my accent), and was so much fun to show them around the town. It was sad dropping them off at the airport this morning as I really miss having people around to eat dinner with and then sit chatting all night until sleep takes over. And going out and just seeing parts of the town for the sake of exploration. I do really miss having people who "get me" in more quantities than just Drew (as wonderful as he is) as I really thought that sarcasm would transfer through accents, but it doesn't.

So I do hope that others decide to make Christchurch a destination spot through the next 9 months. The floor is very comfortable I hear.

3 comments:

  1. Having friends and family visit from Canada was a fun part of our move to Auckland. Kids who I grew up with and who had never really left the farm, coming to a big city halfway around the world... plus it was a definite comfort in the first year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha yeah it's definitely culture shock to realize that sarcasm is not necessarily the same everywhere. Or that it's just executed differently.

    ReplyDelete
  3. we were sad to leave! just got home a few hours ago and are feeling a bit wistful looking back on our time in NZ.

    ReplyDelete